Thursday, June 11, 2009

You're pregnant, now what?

If you are anything like me, this was the most joyous and most horrifying moment of your life. With the immense fun you will have with your child, also comes tremendous responsibility.

The first order of business is talking to your doctor. He or she will advise you best on all of the things that you need to be doing or not doing to take care of your growing baby. You are probably experiencing a range of emotions that changes from moment to moment and that is completely normal as your hormones are changing rapidly. Make sure you eat well and drink lots of fluids, even though you already have to go to the bathroom all the time!

For me, the journey began when I had to find a doctor that accepted my insurance plan that was also accepting new pregnant patients. Because New York is packed with every type of human known to the earth, that means there are nearly all types of doctors too. I was very lucky because the first doctor that I visited was available and I actually felt comfortable sharing my most stressful and intimate moments with her. Having a child, is after all, very intimate!

Shopping for doctors should begin with people that you trust who can advise you on their experiences and who have the same insurance plan that you do. I found out after the fact, that my employer has an email group for parents in the office. Exchange of ideas is welcome in the forum as long as it is child-related. I have found this a good starting point for the doctor hunt. If you are reluctant to share the fact that YOU are pregnant, you can always ask the question in the form of "my friend" needs to know about finding a doctor.

One thing to consider before choosing a doctor is that most doctors in New York City are members of a particular hospital and will only be allowed to deliver your child at that hospital. If you are thinking about using a doula or midwife, the same issues apply. Does the birthing center or hospital that you want to use allow your doctor or midwife to deliver there? is it near your home or near transportation?

No comments:

Post a Comment